Student Permits Canada

For the student who wants to study in Canada and want to get study Permit from the Canadian government, they must first to get admission in Canadian education institute. After getting enrolled in the institution and get acceptance letter they can apply for study permit by filing an application in the visa office in your country.The student who successfully get study permit after filing the application to the visa office. Now they can bring their wife and children’s with them to Canada. After successful completion of studies, the person can apply for work visa in Canada.

Eligibility criteria for Student Permits Canada

To be eligible to apply for a Canadian Study Permit, students must:

  • Receive a letter of acceptance from a Canadian designated educational institution in order to apply for a study permit;
  • Demonstrate that he or she has sufficient funds to pay for tuition in his or her first year of schooling and to be able to support himself/herself. He must also be able to pay transportation costs for returning to his native land;
  • Obtain a Quebec Certificate of Acceptance (CAQ), if the student wishes to study in Montreal or in the province of Quebec;
  • To be in a good health. The IRCC may ask the candidate to take a medical examination; and,
  • Convince the IRCC officer that he or she will leave Canada upon expiry of the authorized period of entry under the study permit.

A candidate may be required to submit the following documents:

  • The passport of the principal applicant, including the passports of all family members, included in the application;

Maintaining your status in Canada

It is important not to exceed the length of your permitted stay in Canada (ie, the duration of your work permit, study permit, or visitor visa) without asking for a change of status before. You will need to comply with all the conditions of your visa, such as restrictions on the nature of work, maximum hours of work per week, how long you can study, etc. Be sure to read the mentions on your study permit carefully and take knowledge of the conditions it implies.

If you do not request a renewal of your current status or a change in status before your current status expires, you must return to your country of origin before submitting your application.

If you submit your application for renewal or change of status before your current status expires, you are considered to be on ” implied status ” as a temporary resident until a decision is made your request. You must keep a copy of the documents proving that the extension of the status has been requested (proof of sending or by courier, an Internet reception, etc.). So, if your status expires before a decision has been made, you will be under the implicit status for as long as you live in Canada.

This rule applies only to applications for temporary residence. If you apply for permanent residence, you will not be allowed to stay in Canada until a decision is made, unless you have a valid temporary status as a visitor, student or worker.


Once the extension of your study permit has been accepted, you may also need to apply for a temporary residence visa (TRV), if applicable.

If you are studying in Quebec, you will need to obtain a new Quebec Certificate of Acceptance (CAQ). As a general rule, obtaining a study permit involves obtaining a CAQ.

Change School

Under the current regulations, you may not need to obtain a new study permit to transfer from one school to another. Be sure to check that your study permit does not contain a condition that requires you to stay under consideration in a specific institution.

After graduation, many students may choose to stay in Canada to live or work there.

Study permits expire 90 days after graduation, regardless of the date printed on the study permit per se. It is very important that foreign graduates update their status with the IRCC within 90 days of graduation, otherwise, they may lose their status in Canada.

Several graduates are eligible to apply for a post-graduate work permit. This license allows the holder to work for any employer and anywhere in Canada for up to three years after graduation. Work experience acquired under a post-graduate work permit may facilitate an application for a Canadian permanent residence, primarily through programs such as the Canadian Experience Class, the  Quebec Experience Program (QEP), and some Provincial Nominee Program (PCP).

If a foreign graduate does not apply for a post-graduate work permit to maintain legal status in Canada, he/she may:

  • Apply for a change of status for visitor status;
  • Submit another application for a study permit continues in a different program of study. For example, a graduate may wish to continue his studies towards a master’s degree program after graduating at the bachelor’s level; or,
  • Leave Canada.
Rate this post