Sponsorship of dependent child for Canada

The goal of family reunification and retention of family members in Canada.

Under family reunification, Canadian citizens and permanent residents can sponsor their dependent children, their parents and grandparents, spouses, common-law partners and conjugal partners.

The Government of Canada is strongly committed to keeping families together as much as possible. For this reason, applications for family reunification are dealt with as a matter of priority by the immigration offices.

In most cases, persons coming to Canada as temporary foreign workers or permanent residents have the opportunity to be accompanied in Canada by their families, including their dependent children. However, in certain circumstances, it is not possible to include them in the initial license application. For Canadian citizens and permanent residents with children residing abroad, the government has created a special program to facilitate the entry into Canada of loved ones.

The sponsorship program for a dependent child for Canada

Dependent children, whether natural or adopted, may be sponsored to live with their parents as permanent residents in Canada. The sponsorship program for dependent children is a sub-category of family reunification.

The Canadian citizen or permanent resident (also referred to as “the sponsor”) and their child residing abroad (the “sponsored person”) must both be approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada ( CIC) so that the sponsored person can obtain a visa.

In order to receive a visa under this program, the sponsor and the sponsored person will have to prove the relationship between them.

Sponsors are subject to the following conditions:

  • The sponsor must demonstrate the financial capacity  to provide for the basic needs of the sponsored persons and accompanying dependents if they are unable to do so themselves, which implies:
  • Food, clothing, accommodation and other needs of everyday life; and
  • Dental, eye and other medical care not covered by public health services for the benefit of Canadian citizens and permanent Canadian residents.
  • The following agreements must be concluded with the Government of Canada or the Government of Québec:
  • The sponsor must commit to providing essential care to the sponsor for a certain period of time;
  • If the sponsored person is more than 22 years of age, the sponsor agrees to meet their needs for a certain period of time and the sponsor agrees to do their best to help them to be financially independent.
  • The sponsor must have either:
  • His physical residence in Canada; or
  • For Canadian citizens sponsoring a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child, demonstrate an intention to reside in Canada until the sponsored family members arrive in Canada as permanent residents.
  • In addition, the sponsor must be at least 18 years of age, not detained, not bankrupt, must not be removed from Canada if he is a permanent resident and not convicted of a serious offense
4 (80%) 1 vote