In-Home Caregiver Program Canada

In the old days, the caregiver has to live with the sponsoring family or employee. But now this is not important the rules have changed. The caregiver workers who are already working in Canada, for those the Different rules are applied for the continuation of work.

In-Home Caregiver program is divided into two categories. These program categories have its own requirements, each one with its own. The employee must sponsor under these two categories which are as follow.

  1. This category for the care of under 18-year children’s. the caregiver specialist in children can apply this category. They can live there or not there is no restriction.
  2. This category is for medical requirements caregiver. Caregiver for old people more than the age of 65 years, old people with illness, disabled people. The caregiver specializes in this can apply in this category.

Caregiver Program Requirements

  • Job offer and job contract with a future employer it is must for applying.
  • Complete education documents must be provided before applying.
  • Full-time 1-year experience is required to apply for this program.
  • Training certificate for 6 months is required for applying.
  • Have a good command of English for Appling in this program.

 Caregiver Program (Live-in)

Note: The Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP) no longer accepts new applications. If you want to work as a family caregiver in Canada, you must apply for a regular work permit.

If you are currently employed under the LCP, you may change employment for personal or other reasons. In this case, you must find a new employer that:

  • agrees to have you reside at home;
  • can obtain a Labor Market Impact Assessment (EIMT) that provides for an agreement to reside at home.

If you want to apply for permanent residence under the LCP, you must have lived with your employer for at least two of the first four years you have spent in Canada. During this period, you have the option to change employers to the extent that you comply with this requirement. If you do not, you can still qualify for Permanent Resident status through the Child Care or Care for People with High Medical Needs category.

Before leaving your current job

You must obtain the following documents from your employer:

  • a statement of the overtime you worked;
  • a Record of Employment (ROE).

The record of employment must include:

  • the reason for termination of employment;
  • the number of hours worked;
  • gross remuneration;
  • any amount paid or payable at the time you left your employment.

Only your employer can obtain and complete your ROE; he is required by law to issue this document to you and is prohibited from refusing to do so. If you are having trouble getting your ROE, contact your local Service Canada Center and have an agent contact your employer.

Keep your ROE in a safe place. This document sets out your work history and can be used to prove that you worked during the period of work required to apply for permanent residence.

If you have a new job offer as a live-in caregiver

You must:

  • sign a written contract with your new employer;
  • obtain a new work permit.

You will also need to apply to change the employer listed on your LCP work permit.

If you do not already have a new job as a live-in caregiver

If you would like to find a new employer, the Service Canada Center could provide you with information on available family support positions. You can also find a new employer through the National Job Bank of Canada.

If you have not found a new job as a live-in caregiver and your work permit is about to expire, you may apply for a transitional extension. Until we approve the transitional extension of your work permit, you cannot work for a new employer.

Make sure to include the “transition extension” and the reason for the extension request in box 1b of the “Details of the anticipated work in Canada” section of the Extension of Work Permit form.




Rate this post