The Fortress Louisbourg
The fortress of Louisbourg is an incomplete reconstruction of an 18th-century French fortress in Louisbourg, Nova Scotia, as a reminder of the battles that Canadian soldiers waged so that Canada today may be the land that it is.
The original fortress was built between 1720 and 1740 and was one of the largest and most expensive European fortresses on North American land. The fortress was supported by two garrisons in nearby locations. The fortress was subject to some strategic mistakes, such as total defensiveness against land forces, as the main focus was on defense against naval forces.
The fortress and parts of the city were reconstructed in the 1960s using original materials and unemployed miners. The fortress is now run and maintained by the Association of Canadian Parks and serves as a living history museum.